"Secularization Doesn't Just Happen"

When I saw that title at the top of Richard John Neuhaus's "The Public Square" column at First Things (the story links on the March issue just lit up) I didn't expect light fare, but neither did I expect such an extensive erudite note on the secularization of modern societies. I caught it just last night when I was almost off to bed, and it kept me plenty awake for another hour (along with sufficient skimming of the rest of the column and the issue). If you're ready, here's a sample:
“As society became more modern, it became more secular.” That sentence has about it a certain “of courseness.” It or its equivalent is to be found in numerous textbooks from grade school through graduate school. The connection between modernization and secularization is taken for granted. Christian Smith, professor of sociology at the University of North Carolina, challenges what everybody knows in an important new collection of essays by several sociologists and historians, The Secular Revolution: Power, Interests, and Conflict in the Secularization of American Public Life (University of California Press, 484 pp., $60). The challenge is not novel with Smith. Social scientists who had long propounded “secularization theory,” Peter L. Berger very notably among them, have in recent years undergone a major change of mind. The contribution of Smith’s big book is in his detailed analysis of the dubious (sometimes contrary to fact) assumptions underlying the theory, and in the case studies he and his colleagues present showing how various interest groups have employed the theory in the service of their own quest for power, usually at the expense of religion and religious institutions.

There are, writes Smith, seven crucial and related defects in conventional secularization theory. Over-abstraction: the literature of the theorists routinely spoke of “differentiation,” “autonomization,” “privatization,” and other abstract, if not abstruse, dynamics disengaged from concrete factors of social change such as interests, ideologies, institutions, and power conflicts. Lack of human agency: the theory was big on process without protagonists. It depicted secularization without secularizers. According to the theory, secularization just happens. Overdeterministic inevitability: “Religion’s marginalization from public life is portrayed as a natural or inevitable process like cell mitosis or adolescent puberty.” Secularization theory reflects a view of linear social evolution in the tradition of Comte and Spencer. “If there is one truth that history teaches us beyond doubt,” wrote the great Durkheim, “it is that religion tends to embrace a smaller and smaller portion of social life.” Any questions, class?

Comments

Anonymous said…
So, if "secularization theory" doesn't explain the simple, self-evident fact that more modern societies are more secular than primitive ones clearly and obviously steeped in mysticism (religion) to a far wider degree, then what does explain it?

What's more important, the theory (to include debunking it) or the plain fact of the matter?
I should state up front that I had never heard of "secularization theory." I might have tripped over it somewhere and paid no attention to it. Sounds like sociology to me, and I pay almost no attention to that stuff.

The point that Neuhaus is making is that the deterministic angle, that modernity results in secularism, is bunk. I would have agreed with that even before I heard the argument. His conclusion is that "Secularization doesn't just happen," i.e., it happens because some individuals and some institutions want it to happen, and others, by not resisting it, allow it to happen. Again, I agree.

Did you read Neuhaus's entire note? At the end he refers to "the naked public square." He's the one who brought the contemporary challenge to the denudation of the public square of religion into focus in his book "The Naked Public Square." So he also has a long-term familiarity with the issue.

As I said, I had never even heard of "secularization theory," and probably would have blinked twice and forgotten about it if I had.

I do have my own idea of exactly what happened in the West over the past 500 years, and how, basically the current gulf between religion and the secular got so wide, but it's not deterministic, at all. I discuss it in a long essay I've been writing over the last year entitled "Why Iraq?," which is not only about Iraq, but covers, among other things, the emergence of postmodernism and its consequences. I should get that up somewhere, finished or unfinished.
Anonymous said…
Well, clearly then I didn't read very closely (early morning, and all). In my haste, I somehow got the impression that modern society as a whole was not getting more secular--which is obviously false.

OK, got it.

Popular Posts