St. Patrick's Day

I'm right now in the upstate place where I learned the definitive lesson about St. Patrick's Day: Stay the hell home.

[And a late note on that: I'll always be indebted to my long dead pal Richie Milman, who with great moral authority, ordered those four bouncers to get off of me and let me up. Truly, I've never since seen such a literally commanding performance as Richie's that particular St. Patrick's night.]

But God bless the Irish.

My Dad always said, and I still don't know what the hell he had in mind, "the Irish always predominate."

Mother never made that much of the Irish stuff, and we were as an Irish family fairly much unconnected to any Irish circles outside the extended family of somewhat Irish relatives.

I was their last child, a little to the late side of things for them and for those times, but my birth did occur suspiciously close to exactly nine months after St. Patrick's Day.

So, Mother and Dad might very well have been out that night, but it appears that they made it home all right.

Comments

Popular Posts