Is the world watching this?

I hope so. If the old barroom toast "confusion to your enemies" means anything, then the American folk performance art ritual of Groundhog Day should blast forth from television broadcasting towers around the world. We've already impressed our enemies with how deadly serious we become when attacked, but here's an opportunity to show them how crazy we are.

Beyond that, everyone in or about the northeast region of the U.S. knows how cold it is this morning, so I found this paragraph from the linked-to AP story proof that the America I know still lives:

In Punxsutawney, an energetic crowd of about 2,000 people was already assembled by 3:30 a.m. Most were bundled against the cold, but at least one young woman braved the weather in a bikini top.
Sorry I missed that. I love seeing the old bikini top at public events, on young women.

Correction at 11:01 a.m.: I love seeing the old bikini top on Mrs. McP all four seasons, publicly or privately, in restaurants, shopping malls, the backyard, in mountain passes, and during political rallies of all stripe. And I sort of like seeing it, for strictly cultural reasons, on young women at public events.

Comments

Popular Posts