Want a little taste of Euro hate?

The story here is ostensibly the circulation around Belgium of stickers featuring a caricature of George W. Bush with an American flag backdrop. At the top of the sticker above Bush's face a caption reads "Go ahead, piss on me." The stickers are for urinals. From school urinals to pub urinals, they're all over Belgium.

Well, that's all very cute, but then the writer of this particular article, Paul Belien, himself a Belgian, tells a little bit of his story. Listen to this:
Fifteen years ago, I was sacked by a Belgian newspaper because I had written an article in the Wall Street Journal which the Belgian politicians did not like. Being a somewhat conservative and pro-American journalist, I was a regular contributor to the Journal in the late 1980s and early 1990s. These articles were not liked by my liberal colleagues, nor by the Belgian regime. On April 6, 1990, I was fired after writing a Journal op-ed piece about how a major story had been ignored by the Belgian media under political pressure from the top political parties.

That day ended my career as a newspaper journalist. None of the Belgian papers has been willing to employ me since. Fifteen years later I am still known by my former colleagues as "that fascist from the Wall Street Journal." And now I could see those same editors sitting in the audience, listening to a man whom they despise.

Indeed, they think that the world will be saved if America becomes more like Europe, whereas I think that Europe will be saved only if it becomes more like America. But that is an opinion which no one in Europe is allowed to have. Those who do, get peed upon.
Link from Drudge.

Comments

mattergy said…
I dont know much about Europe.

I do know that American Progressive author Greg Palast moved to the UK because he thought he'd be able to express his views more freely.

Then he ended up moving back to the U.S. because of lawsuits over stuff he had written.

But then Dubya got elected anyway. Democracy is a bitch--ask the Iraquis.

Popular Posts