Back in the days...

...after Richard Nixon was ceremoniously thumped out of the Presidency, I had this dream of producing a big budget Hollywood movie that would pay Nixon whatever he demanded to take the role of Count Dracula. Yes, I detested Nixon, and I'm not even sure I would have detested him less had I known at that time how much worse his enemies were than he was. As time passed, however, I accepted his rehabilitation and found him an almost comforting, if largely insignificant, presence in his last years.

It just occurred to me this morning that if I could produce a big budget Hollywood movie today, I would pay Michael Moore whatever he demanded to take the role of Herman Goering.

Why did that thought occur to me? Because of this synopsis at Belmont Club of a longer profile at The Mudville Gazette of Rick Rescorla. Go read the Belmont Club's synopsis first, because it is just gripping. Rescorla was of the spine of American greatness, doing what he did the way he did it. Another sign of American greatness is that men like Rescorla restrain themselves from taking the pistol out of the hand of Michael Moore's bodyguard and beating the slob filmmaker with it. They know it wouldn't be right, even if Moore walks off the stage at the Oscars with a gold statuette as a reward for hating the country that Rescorla loved.

Comments

Popular Posts