John Paul II in hospital

This is a familiar pattern of ups and downs at the end of life. I remember the first time I saw him on television, right after he had been elected pope. There he was a young 58, offered by the press as fit and vigorous, a skier, a hiker. There he was a Polish pope taking hold of reins that had long been held by Italians. I was an apostate Catholic then, quite nauseatingly so. Still, I had interest in a new pope. I wouldn't be following any of his teachings, I thought, but there was something about the ceremony of it all. That was 1978. Four years later in 1982, probably in September, I looked around me as I climbed the steps into St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City. I wanted to make sure that no one I knew, by some odd chance, would see me go inside. I wouldn't want it to get around that I had been seen entering a church. It was the beginning of a long journey back.

Over the years I would take a lot of strength from JPII. On the night of August 14, 1993 at 10:30 pm, I was listening to him speak, I think it was at some event here in the U.S.

He said this, and I immediately wrote it down on a blank page at the front of the nearest available book, which happened to be an old copy of Samuel Eliot Morison's Oxford History of the American People:

Moral good is objective and a properly formed conscience can perceive it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"I have come to the conclusion that whether or not a person is a religious believer or not does not matter much. Far more important is that they be a good human being."
- THE 14TH DALAI LAMA
in "Ethics for the New Millennium"
There is an awful lot of wiggle room in the "good human being" concept, with all due respect to the Dalai Lama. The natural law is accessible through reason ("moral good is objective and a properly formed conscience can perceive it.") But moral good and natural law also point to their own transcendent source and that source has an identity, a personality. That is to say the source is not itself less than human beings are, but infinitely more itself. So, being a good human being is a step in a direction for which religion is the path, and the path leads to God, by reason, or intuition, or goodness itself.

Popular Posts